Getting turned away at your appointment because of a lack of a paperwork can be frustrating! Here's the lowdown on the identification documents required for your DMV appointment!
What you need to get your driver's license as a non-US citizen?
1. Identification documents and proof of legal presence
- Unexpired foreign passport with Visa
- For F- and M-visa holders: I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- For J- visa holders: DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility
- For H-visa holders: I-797 Employment Authorization, which should show the end date of your authorization (if your petition has been extended, bring a copy of your H1-B extension petition)
2. Social Security Number (SSN)
- Social Security Card
- *F1- and F2-visa holders: You do not require a SSN unless you are or have been on OPT or CPT
- *J2 dependents are required to have an SSN only if they have employment authorization
3. Proof of California Residency
You will need at least 2 pieces of documents, which can be made up of:
- Mortgage or utility bills (includes mobile phone bills)
- Rental or lease agreement
4. $35 application fee (for Class C license)
5. (If applicable) Legal document supporting name change
- Name change document (adoption, etc.) that contains legal name before and after name change
- Marriage certificate
- Dissolution of marriage document that contains new legal name
Other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I convert my driver's license issued from another country?
Unfortunately not. To get a California Driver's License, you will need to apply for a driver's license and take both the written and road test*.
*The road test may be waived, at the DMV's discretion, if your Driver's License is from out-of-state
For H- (H-1B, etc) visa holders: Can I apply for renewal my license while my petition is still pending?
DMVs in California do not issue or renew a license while your petition is pending.
I'm not interested in a driver's license, can I get just a California state ID?
Yes, you can get a California state ID which can act as a form of photo, age and name verification.
I have other questions!
You can check out YoGov's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) or drop us a message by clicking the little blue button below!
Other relevant articles
🚀NEED A CAR AND DRIVER FOR YOUR ROAD TEST?
You can hold a driver for $1 which we highly recommend plus we'll book your appointments, pick you up and more.