Getting turned away at your appointment because of a lack of a paperwork can be frustrating! Here's the lowdown on the identification documents required for your DMV appointment to get a REAL ID or Driver's License.
What you need to get your driver's license as a US citizen?
1. Identification documents and proof of legal presence
- State ID, or
- State-issued driver's license, or
2. Social Security Number (SSN)
- Social Security Card
3. Proof of California Residency
You will need at least 2 pieces of documents, which can be made up of:
- Mortgage or utility bills (includes mobile phone bills)
- Rental or lease agreement
4. $35 application fee (for Class C license), or $30 application fee (for a state ID)
- In debit or cash; credit cards are not accepted
5. (If applicable) Legal document supporting name change
- Name change document (adoption, etc.) that contains legal name before and after name change
- Marriage certificate
- Dissolution of marriage document that contains new legal name
Other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is a REAL ID?
The REAL ID is an enhanced security identification document that will be needed to fly domestically from 2020. Everyone will need to get a REAL ID for federal-level identification.
Can I convert my driver's license issued from another state?
Unfortunately not. To get a California Driver's License, you will need to apply for a driver's license and take both the written and road test*.
*The road test may be waived, at the DMV's discretion, if your Driver's License is from out-of-state
I'm not interested in a driver's license, can I get just a California state ID?
Yes, you can get a California state ID which can act as a form of photo, age and name verification.
I have other questions!
You can check out YoGov's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) or drop us a message by clicking the little blue button below!
Other relevant articles
🚀NEED A CAR AND DRIVER FOR YOUR ROAD TEST? You can hold a driver for $1 which we highly recommend plus we'll book your appointments, pick you up and more.